Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lessons in Faith from a Seven Year Old


Luke and I decided to live on base when we moved to Florida, as we own a house in Missouri. The last time we lived on base was in 2006 in New Mexico. Hunter was only 2 at the time so he doesn't remember all the "perks" of living on base. He doesn't remember the announcements made base wide by the Command Post. He doesn't remember fighter jets flying over or hearing the "war" going on. He doesn't remember Luke being gone all the time and it just being the 2 of us most days and most nights. And he definitely doesn't remember hearing Revile played at 0600, Retreat at 1700, Taps at 2200 or Call to Arms at noon on Fridays.

We got here on Sunday. Monday we either weren't at the house when any of them played or we just didn't hear them. But Tuesday we were in the living room and Retreat started at 5:00 sharp. Hunter was laying on the floor watching TV and sat straight up. His eyes were wide and excited. He looked at me and said, "I didn't know today was the day God was coming back! Because I know what that noise was. That was praising God! It was the horn blowing, saying God is coming!"

I didn't know what to say. I didn't even realize he knew details about the second coming. I found it sweet, funny and completely appropriate if it were the last day! I explained to him what it was and that it didn't mean his spiritual Father was coming, but instead the music meant his earthly father would be coming because the music marks the end of the work day. Wow! I've often thought of the end of times and the trumpet being blown. I have to admit I feel a sense of panic and fear most times. I picture myself trying to gather my babies, my husband, my parents and direct them the right way. I stress that we won't be together when the time comes (if it comes when we're still alive). My focus is on my loved ones instead of on God.

Hunter's response to Jesus' second coming was completely appropriate. He was excited, he stopped what he was doing and he was ready to go! Oh, to have child-like faith. We can learn so much from children. When the disciples asked Jesus who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven he responded that the children were.

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." -Matthew 18:3

"Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 18:4

"Anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." -Luke 18:17

Right before we moved I started a book by Priscilla Shirer titled, "He Speaks to Me." One of the chapters was about having childlike faith. Tuesday God gave me a tangible lesson through my 7 year old.


No comments: